- To ensure control and monitoring of water used by Lyceum of the Philippines University.
- To provide an overview of the responsibilities relating to the provision of water services,maintaining water hygiene, controlling consumption and ensuring appropriatedischarge to sewer systems.
This procedure covers the management of all systems for the storage and distribution of water, the provision of quality water services, and the maintenance of a safe and appropriate wastewater discharge systems procedure covers the environmental issues:
- water storage, distribution and consumption;
- wastewater collection, treatment and discharge.
- Republic Act 9275 (The Philippine Clean Water Act of 2004)
- Philippine National Standard for Drinking Water 2007
- Water Conservation
- Water conservation measures shall be employed to optimize water usage and to reduce water-efficient operation;
- Water conservation measures shall be employed to optimize water usage and reduce wastewater generation, as necessary. Such measure may include, but not limited to:
- urinal flush control;
- low volume flush toilet;
- spray taps;
- Appropriate notices, posters and stickers shall be displayed throughout buildings to remind all users to conserve water;
- Detected or suspected leakage or wastage shall be reported immediately to the Buildings and Grounds. The maintenance personnel shall investigate all such incidences, and undertake prompt remedial action (e.g., within 24 hours) where it has been established that significant waster waste is occurring or likely to occur. Such examples include, but are not restricted to:
- running taps cannot be turned off;
- leaks or suspected leaks, especially in the main pipe
- meter readings that indicate an inexplicable rise of consumption.
- Wastewater discharge
- There shall be no prohibited substances that will be released to the drainage system in accordance to the toxic and hazardous waste;
- Wastewater other that classifiable as domestic sewage and surface water run-off will be discharged to the sewerage or surface system respectively;
- Contact with, or access into the sewerage system should be approached with care as microbiological pathogens may be present on equipment and the pipework system. Access shall be restricted to authorized personnel only. Particular attention is drawn due to the possible risk of “Leptospirosis” when working in sewers;
- LPU shall ensure that prior to any Contractor working in confined spaces such as sewerage access holes, permit to work is obtained, and an appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) shall be observed.
- Wastewater treatment (Cavite Campus)
- The Building and Maintenance shall monitor on a regular basis the dosage of water systems with appropriate treatment chemicals shall be used;
- An annual water test shall be conducted to check the compliance in accordance to the acceptable parameters;
- A Status Quarterly Monitoring Report shall be prepared and submitted to Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
- Water system alterations
- Any alterations to the water systems shall be carried out in compliance with the applicable requirements.
- Water monitoring
- Water consumption based on actual meter reading/invoices shall be monitored on a monthly basis. Significant changes in consumption trends shall be investigated and accounted for.