Handling and Storage of Chemicals
- To ensure toxic/hazardous chemicals are handled in accordance with the environmental regulations;
- To establish safe handling and control of hazardous and non-hazardous chemical substances, during receiving, storage and use to protect the employees, customers and service providers, and to avoid contamination of equipment and environment.
This applies to the University storage, use, handling and control of hazardous chemicals.
- Occupational Health and Safety Standard – Rule 1090 Hazardous Materials
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Department Administrative Order (DAO)# 29 – Priority Chemical List of DAO 2005-27
- Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency’s CPECS – “Controlled Precursors and Essential Chemicals and Substances”
- Non-hazardous Chemicals
- A Masterlist of Non-Hazardous Chemicals that will be used in the laboratories and University premises shall be prepared.
- All chemicals inside the Lyceum of the Philippines University (LPU) premises shall be adequately identified, classified, labelled and stored in the containers, work areas and in chemical storage areas;
- Safety Data Sheet (SDS) of chemicals used shall be readily accessible for easy reference;
- Encourage cooperation, self-regulation and greater participation in solid waste management through integration into academic curricula to promote environmental awareness and action among the LPU community;
- Hazardous Chemicals
- A Masterlist of Hazardous Chemicals that will be used in the laboratories and University premises shall be prepared;
- All chemicals used in all areas must have permits and approved by government regulatory agencies (Register to DENR any chemicals used by the company, which are covered by Priority Chemical List of DAO 2005-27 in accordance with DAO# 29 and DAO 2004-36 and PDEA’s CPECS “Controlled Precursors and Essential Chemicals and Substances”);
- Laboratory Custodian shall ensure that all chemicals are labelled and stored properly according to their classification and compatibility;
- Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)s shall be used properly when handling the chemicals as required in the SDS.