Policy on Non-Discrimination Against Transgender Individuals
Lyceum of the Philippines University (LPU) is committed to fostering an inclusive and respectful learning and working environment that values diversity and promotes equality. LPU does not tolerate any form of discrimination, harassment, or exclusion based on gender identity, including transgender, genderqueer, and non-binary individuals. This policy outlines LPU’s commitment to creating a safe and welcoming campus for all members of its community, regardless of their gender identity.
This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff, administrators, visitors, and any other individuals associated with LPU.
Transgender: Individuals whose gender identity differs from the sex assigned to them at birth.
Gender Identity: A person’s deeply-felt sense of their own gender, which may or may not correspond with the sex assigned to them at birth.
- Non-Discrimination: LPU strictly prohibits discrimination, harassment, or unfair treatment of any individual based on their transgender status or gender identity. All members of the LPU community are entitled to the same rights, privileges, and opportunities, regardless of their gender identity.
- Inclusive Facilities and Services: LPU shall provide transgender individuals with access to gender-segregated facilities (e.g., restrooms, changing rooms, and locker rooms) that align with their gender identity. Additionally, LPU will ensure that all services, activities, and programs are accessible and inclusive to transgender individuals.
- Preferred Name and Pronouns: LPU recognizes that individuals may have preferred names and pronouns that align with their gender identity. Students, faculty, and staff have the right to use their preferred names and pronouns in all aspects of university life, including email addresses, and communication.
- Educational Programs and Awareness: LPU is committed to promoting awareness and understanding of gender diversity within its community. The university will offer educational programs, workshops, and resources that address transgender issues, promote respect, and foster a welcoming environment.
- Reporting and Addressing Discrimination: Any incidents of discrimination, harassment, or exclusion based on gender identity should be reported promptly. LPU will establish clear and confidential reporting mechanisms and will take appropriate action to address and prevent further discrimination.
- Supportive Services: LPU shall provide access to support services for transgender individuals, including counseling, health care, and resources to help them navigate their educational and personal experiences.
Implementation and Review:
LPU will actively implement and enforce this policy on non-discrimination against transgender individuals. The policy will be regularly reviewed and updated to ensure its effectiveness in promoting an inclusive environment.
By upholding this policy, LPU demonstrates its dedication to fostering an environment where all members of the community can thrive, regardless of their gender identity.
Initially Approved Effective: February 1, 2023
Rev. 1 Reviewed, Amended, Approved, and Effective: July 28, 2023